Healthy Land, Healthy Communities
That’s our motto at the Harvest Moon Society
The Harvest Moon Society is founded in the spirit of cooperation, community, camaraderie, and a shared interest in building a sustainable food system for future generations. Through partnership and consultation with the local residents of Clearwater, Manitoba the Harvest Moon Society purchased the town’s elementary school and converted the building and grounds into the Harvest Moon Learning Centre.
Local Food Initiative
The Harvest Moon Local Food Initiative (HMLFI) is an effort to create a more local, fair and sustainable food system right here in Manitoba. Indeed this responsibility must be shared between farmers and eaters. We are committed to raising healthy animals and plants and enabling you to have access to safe, nutritious and tasty food all year round.
Harvest Moon Festival
Every September since 2002, The Perennial Harvest Moon Festival has celebrated healthy land and healthy communities in the town of Clearwater, Manitoba. The festival builds bridges between urban and rural people through music, educational workshops and gatherings of farmers and eaters.
A world in which healthy land and communities are celebrated by all, leading to equitable food systems, a sense of place, and care for the environment now and in generations to come.
To develop a learning center that works toward strengthening and building linkages between urban and rural areas, empowering communities while creating strategies and infrastructure to sustain community and environment. This will be carried out using a diversity of tactics focused on grassroots and participatory practices.
Board of Directors
Effective January 2018
- Co-Chair: Robert Guilford, Clearwater MB
- Co-Chair: Chris Lillies, Winnipeg MB
- Treasurer: Cory Bellhouse, Winnipeg MB
- Secretary: Jim Sanders, Winnipeg MB
- Education Rep: Kalynn Spain, Winnipeg MB
- Local Food Initiative Rep: Brad Anderson, Cypress River MB
- Facilities Rep: Joe Gardiner, Clearwater MB
- Festival Rep: Molly McCracken, Winnipeg MB
- Rural Rep: Jennifer deGroot, Morden MB
- Urban Rep: Lanny Gardiner, Winnipeg MB
- Member At Large: Michelle Schram, Cartwright MB